Posted: 2/8/203 | February eighth, 2023
Copenhagen is a vigorous, fashionable, and enjoyable capital good for weekend getaways or as a base as you discover the area at giant.
It’s a laid-back metropolis with a top quality of dwelling, boasting charming rows of colourful homes, creative inexperienced areas, inviting canals, and bike lanes galore (there are 5 instances as many bikes as vehicles within the metropolis, and extra bikes than individuals too).
The Danish capital may be very compact and made for strolling. And each neighborhood has its personal distinct taste and character. For that reason, it’s essential to have an thought of which a part of city you’d wish to plant your self in whereas right here.
That can assist you resolve the place to remain in Copenhagen, listed here are the very best neighborhoods – and why I like them – so you possibly can select the realm that most accurately fits your journey type and finances.
However, earlier than I get to the specifics, listed here are some frequent questions I get requested about Copenhagen neighborhoods:
What’s the very best neighborhood for first-time guests?
Indre By is without doubt one of the most picturesque areas of city and the place a lot of the motion is. If you happen to’re new to town, that is the very best place to base your self.
What’s the very best neighborhood for procuring?
Frederiksberg is an upscale neighborhood with loads of boutique retailers and cafés the place you possibly can sit again and watch town go by.
What’s the very best neighborhood for foodies?
Nørrebro is essentially the most various neighborhood within the metropolis and is bursting with scrumptious delicacies, from low-cost road meals to Michelin-starred eateries.
What’s the very best neighborhood for hipsters?
As soon as a run-down neighborhood, Vesterbro is now lined with stylish retailers, third-wave cafés, and funky galleries.
What’s the very best neighborhood to really feel like a neighborhood?
Amagerbro is a largely residential neighborhood good for taking within the native tempo of life.
What’s the very best neighborhood total?
Indre By has one thing for everybody and actually shouldn’t be missed!
With these questions now answered, here’s a extra particular breakdown of every neighborhood — with instructed lodging for every, so that you’ll know precisely the place to remain in Copenhagen.
The place to Keep in Copenhagen for First-Time Guests: Indre By
Indre By, also referred to as Copenhagen Heart or downtown, might be the primary neighborhood most first-time guests discover after they got down to uncover this metropolis. In any case, it’s one of the crucial picturesque areas of city, full with rows of colourful, centuries-old homes on the harbor, medieval thoroughfares, a fortress, the primary artwork museum (Statens Museum for Kunst), Europe’s longest pedestrian procuring road, and even the queen’s residence. Tivoli Gardens, town’s small amusement park, can be positioned right here.
Indre By, actually “inside metropolis,” or as locals name it, Nyhavn, is essentially the most handy place to remain for these desirous to pack so much in on their first go to, since all the primary sights are only a few steps away — together with Freetown Christiania, town’s (in)well-known commune/micronation.
Finest Locations to Keep in Indre By:
- BUDGET: Bedwood Hostel – Housed in a properly preserved mid-18th-century warehouse, Bedwood has dorm-room beds with energy shops and studying lamps. The hostel additionally has a cool frequent room the place you possibly can drink beer, espresso, and tea, in addition to a courtyard with a stunning ambiance.
- MID-RANGE: Hotel Bethel – Located proper on the canal within the middle of Indre By, Bethel is made up of three historic buildings: the crimson constructing, the yellow constructing, and the warehouse. Wherever they put you, you’re positive to have a cushty room with a comfortable mattress. Some rooms have beautiful views of the canal. The breakfast is tasty and filling too.
- LUXURY: The Socialist – This luxe property boasts giant rooms — a few of which have very good metropolis views — that get a whole lot of pure mild and have marble bogs (together with plush robes), USB shops, and outsized armchairs.
The place to Keep in Copenhagen for Procuring: Frederiksberg
If you happen to like a dose of sophistication together with your travels, ebook your self at a resort or hostel in Frederiksberg, a neighborhood west of downtown. Upscale clothes boutiques, theaters, fancy espresso spots and eating places, and quiet cafés flank the district’s streets. You’ll additionally discover a quaint park, a diminutive fortress, and picturesque canals which can be good for strolling round when the solar is out.
Finest Locations to Keep in Frederiksberg:
- BUDGET: CityHub – Situated simply over the border in Vesterbro, CityHub packs some perks for being a budget-friendly resort. There’s a sauna, a self-service bar, and the dorms are made up of futuristic-looking (and cozy) pods.
- MID-RANGE: Scandic Falkoner – Newly renovated, the commercial stylish Scandic Falkoner has a theater theme, referencing Frederiksberg’s long-standing status for its appearing scene. All rooms have cozy king-sized beds, and the rooms on the upper flooring have beautiful views of town. The in-house bar and restaurant use solely Danish substances.
- LUXURY: Hotel Sct. Thomas – Additionally close by in Vesterbro, the Lodge Sct. Thomas is essentially the most luxurious resort that’s near Frederiksberg, only a brief stroll away. It has a rooftop terrace with unbelievable metropolis views, and in the event you ebook immediately, the luscious breakfast buffet is complimentary. All rooms have desks, armchairs, AC, and worldwide TV channels.
The place to remain in Copenhagen for Foodies: Nørrebro
Northwest from the historic middle sits Nørrebro, dwelling to the famed Assistens Cemetery, the place you possibly can view the grave of writer Hans Christian Andersen (he wrote The Little Mermaid and The Ugly Duckling, amongst many different noteworthy tales). Nørrebro additionally occurs to be essentially the most ethnically various district on the town: stroll down the road and also you’ll hear dozens of various languages.
It’s additionally dwelling to a slew of eating places and cafés, from nice no-frills spots to Michelin-starred eateries. If you happen to’re undecided the place or what to eat, come to Nørrebro and also you’ll be spoiled with a wealthy number of nice eating places.
Finest Locations to Keep in Nørrebro
- BUDGET: Globalhagen Hostel – Prized for its consideration to environmental points, Globalhagen is a nonprofit/NGO property with a number of kinds of snug dorm rooms. The hostel additionally has a big screening room to look at TV and movies, and a full kitchen for friends to make use of.
- MID-RANGE: Avenue Hotel – The glossy Avenue Lodge, positioned on the border of Nørrebro and Frederiksberg, affords a bountiful natural breakfast. It has rooms of varied sizes, together with small singles and plus-sized doubles, all of which have cozy beds and high-quality bathtub merchandise. There’s additionally a wine blissful hour for friends within the early night.
- LUXURY: Hotel Nora – A number of blocks south of the cemetery, Nora has 42 high-ceilinged rooms in an ornate Nineteenth-century constructing. All have fridges, electrical kettles for espresso and tea, and air-con. Company also can request Danish or worldwide newspapers within the morning.
The Finest Locations to Keep in Copenhagen for Hipsters: Vesterbro
There as soon as was a time when Vesterbro, positioned west of the historic middle and practically hugging the primary canal, was a no-go zone, its streets prowled by drug sellers. A few of these parts are nonetheless there, however at the moment Vesterbro is without doubt one of the hippest locations to hang around within the Danish capital. The streets at the moment are lined with cutting-edge artwork galleries, hipster bars, third-wave espresso retailers (emphasizing prime quality), and glorious eating places.
There should not a ton of lodging choices in Vesterbro, however what’s there — and simply throughout the border in neighboring districts — is sweet for just a few nights.
Finest Locations to Keep in Vesterbro:
- BUDGET: YMCA Interpoint Hostel – This 54-bed hostel within the coronary heart of Vesterbro is a favourite summertime dwelling for backpackers. It has each measurement dorm room possible, plus a big frequent kitchen and a vigorous frequent room for hanging out and assembly fellow vacationers.
- MID-RANGE: Hotel Ottilia – A part of the previous Carlsberg brewery, Otilia has gained a number of structure awards for its transformation into a stunning mid-range resort. Its rooms have spherical home windows with good metropolis views, giant beds, espresso makers, and even exercise gear. If you happen to improve to a collection, the food and drinks choices are complimentary.
- LUXURY: Scandic Kødbyen – Smooth and funky, this new resort in neighboring Kødbyen is just a brief stroll to Vesterbro’s finest bars, eating places, and nightclubs. The spacious rooms have giant, thick, snug beds, and a few even have French balconies.
The place to Keep to Really feel like a Native: Amagerbro
Located to the south, Amagerbro is a sprawling neighborhood with a big residential part. It’s additionally on Amager Island, which as soon as had the moniker “Shit Island,” as a result of it was the place the place town’s sewage was deposited.
Immediately, the sewage is gone, and the neighborhood is without doubt one of the most sought-after locations to reside, because the streets are flanked by cool cafés, eating places serving elevated Danish fare, and distinctive retailers.
Finest Locations to Keep in Amagerbro:
- BUDGET: Hotel Amager – For a budget-friendly resort, Amager has a whole lot of good perks, together with a big breakfast buffet and a complimentary pint of beer whenever you verify in. The resort additionally has a sports activities bar.
- MID-RANGE: CPH Studio Hotel – This 149-room property has a rare and huge rooftop terrace, the right place to sit back out after a day of exploring. Many of the rooms have kitchenettes too.
- LUXURY: Radisson Blu – Set not removed from the famed Christiania neighborhood, the Radisson Blu is a part of a series that’s dependable and cozy. Attempt to request a room on the higher flooring for scenic views. Rooms have tea and low makers, and the resort has a big health middle. There’s additionally an Italian restaurant on the bottom flooring.
Copenhagen has a whole lot of issues to see — from Tivoli Gardens to the Nationwide Museum of Denmark to Christiansborg Palace to the choice and hippie-laden Christiania district. With an abundance of charming, stunning, and laid-back neighborhoods that showcase Danish tradition, Copenhagen is straightforward to get pleasure from, regardless of through which you select to base your self.
Ebook Your Journey: Logistical Ideas and Methods
Ebook Your Flight
Discover a low-cost flight by utilizing Skyscanner. It’s my favourite search engine as a result of it searches web sites and airways across the globe so that you at all times know no stone is being left unturned.
Ebook Your Lodging
You may ebook your hostel with Hostelworld. If you wish to keep someplace aside from a hostel, use Booking.com because it constantly returns the most cost effective charges for guesthouses and resorts.
Don’t Neglect Journey Insurance coverage
Journey insurance coverage will defend you in opposition to sickness, harm, theft, and cancellations. It’s complete safety in case something goes improper. I by no means go on a visit with out it as I’ve had to make use of it many instances up to now. My favourite firms that supply the very best service and worth are:
Wish to journey free of charge?
Journey bank cards can help you earn factors that may be redeemed free of charge flights and lodging. They’re what hold me touring a lot for thus little. Take a look at my guide to picking the right card and my current favorites to get began and see the most recent finest offers.
Able to Ebook Your Journey?
Take a look at my resource page for the very best firms to make use of whenever you journey. I checklist all those I take advantage of once I journey. They’re the very best at school and you’ll’t go improper utilizing them in your journey.