Home made Hen Gnocchi Soup is made for cold evenings! This straightforward soup recipe tastes as if it comes from a restaurant kitchen, however solely takes one pot and half-hour to make on the range. It’s stuffed with tender hen, veggies, and mushy gnocchi dumplings within the silkiest cream broth.
In the event you love comforting one-pot soup recipes like this straightforward gnocchi soup, attempt my One Pot Lasagna Soup, too!
Creamy Gnocchi Soup (Higher Than Olive Backyard!)
Who else isn’t fairly prepared to surrender sweater climate? It’s been an extended winter, and whereas I can really feel spring peeking across the nook, I’m nonetheless clinging to my cashmere and comfy dinners till additional discover.
On a current chilly weeknight, I made a pot of essentially the most life-changing hen gnocchi soup. So, clearly, I’m sharing it with you!
This home made hen gnocchi soup tastes identical to the wealthy and creamy soup from Olive Backyard (IYKYK). It’s stuffed with juicy chunks of hen and little pillows of tender gnocchi, soaked within the silkiest, creamiest hen broth ever. And the most effective half is, you may make it by yourself stovetop in lower than half-hour!
Gnocchi is a standard Italian dumpling recipe, created from potatoes, eggs, and flour. You’ll normally discover gnocchi within the pasta aisle, or frozen or refrigerated with different recent pasta at most grocery shops.
Gnocchi come in numerous sizes and shapes, however they’re mostly formed like little lumps of dough, typically with small ridges.
What You’ll Want
Under is the whole lot you’ll have to make this home made hen gnocchi soup. Don’t overlook to scroll to the recipe card for the total portions and recipe instructions.
- Onion and Carrots: Diced and sauteed in butter, for aromatics.
- Seasoning: I season this soup with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper, plus crushed crimson pepper flakes for a little bit of kick.
- Garlic: As a result of the whole lot is best with recent garlic.
- Flour: Cooking off the flour with the butter and veggies creates a “roux” that helps to thicken the soup.
- Hen Inventory and Bouillon: I like to recommend utilizing low-sodium hen broth, or Homemade Chicken Stock. I additionally stir in bouillon paste to reinforce the flavour (Higher Than Bouillon is the one I at all times use). Cubes or vegetable bouillon will even work.
- Milk: I add a little bit of milk to the inventory because it makes the broth creamy.
- Hen: This soup is an excellent method to make use of up a leftover rotisserie hen. I had one in my fridge that I cubed up, however any cooked hen will do.
- Gnocchi: I exploit frozen gnocchi on this soup because it’s much less more likely to overcook. It’s wonderful to make use of recent or dried gnocchi as a substitute, simply bear in mind that it’ll cook dinner extra rapidly.
- Heavy Cream: In the event you’d choose a lighter soup, use half-and-half.
- Spinach: You need to use recent or frozen child spinach. In the event you’re utilizing recent, bear in mind to take away the stems.
The right way to Make Hen Gnocchi Soup
In the event you’ve ever had a disaster of being whereas deciding between Olive Backyard’s hen gnocchi soup and their equally well-known Zuppa Tuscana, similar. The excellent news is, we now have one-half of the equation sorted at dwelling! This scrumptious and creamy hen gnocchi soup recipe comes collectively rapidly in a single pot on the stovetop:
- Saute: To start out, you’ll saute the carrots and onions in a little bit of butter. As soon as softened, stir in your seasonings and garlic. After a few minute the garlic needs to be aromatic. Now, you’ll sprinkle in some flour. Maintain stirring for an additional minute whereas it cooks off and creates a roux with the veggies.
Mix: Subsequent, pour in hen inventory and bouillon, together with some milk, and provides the whole lot a whisk to mix. Proceed to whisk whereas the broth heats, and when it’s barely at a boil, stir in your cubed hen. Afterward, flip down the warmth and let the soup simmer for a bit.
Add Gnocchi: After 10 minutes or so, dump within the frozen gnocchi and let it cook dinner. It ought to take about 3 minutes (give or take) to develop into tender, however maintain an eye fixed in order that it doesn’t overcook.
End and Serve: Lastly, add chopped spinach to the pot, and stir within the heavy cream. Take the pot off the warmth and canopy it whereas the spinach wilts. Proper on the finish, season your soup with salt and pepper to style. Then, serve!
Suggestions for Success
This soup recipe could be very easy. Listed here are some further suggestions to bear in mind:
- Don’t boil the soup. I say this for 2 causes. The primary is as a result of boiling could cause the dairy within the soup to separate and curdle. Secondly, boiling the hen items will make them powerful and chewy. Make certain to show down the warmth as soon as the soup begins to steam.
- Serve the soup instantly. The gnocchi tends to develop into gummy the longer it sits within the scorching broth. Because of this, this soup is finest loved proper after it’s made. In any other case, take into account solely including within the gnocchi simply earlier than you’re able to serve.
Add-Ins and Variations
Home made soup is one factor I’ll by no means run out of how to customise. This hen gnocchi soup is scrumptious as is, however you possibly can at all times adapt the components and take a look at out completely different add-ins to swimsuit. Listed here are some straightforward concepts:
- Completely different Protein: Make this soup with sliced or floor sausage as a substitute of hen. You possibly can brown the raw sausage when you saute your carrots and onions.
- Extra Veggies: Add diced bell peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, celery, or cherry tomatoes. Instead of spinach, attempt chopped kale.
- Herbs: Mess around with including extra recent or dried herbs like thyme, rosemary, parsley, and basil.
We love cozying up with bowls of hen soup on cool evenings. Generally we’ll go all out, Olive Backyard-style, and luxuriate in this hen gnocchi soup with home made Cheesy Breadsticks and a facet of inexperienced salad.
Generally I’ll grate recent parmesan over the soup or sprinkle in some croutons to actually kick the consolation issue up a notch. Gnocchi soup makes a terrific entree or facet with roasted veggies or Air Fryer Asparagus. Or, serve this soup with heartier sides like Stuffed Garlic Bread or Cheesy French Bread Pizza.
Storing and Reheating Leftover Gnocchi Soup
Whereas this hen and gnocchi soup is finest loved instantly, any leftover soup might be refrigerated hermetic for as much as 3 days. Word that the gnocchi could develop into a bit mushy the longer it’s saved. Reheat your hen gnocchi soup both within the microwave or on the stovetop.
In the event you’re making this recipe forward, I like to recommend getting ready the soup as directed and leaving out the gnocchi. Retailer the hen soup after which add the gnocchi whenever you reheat it.
Can I Freeze Hen Gnocchi Soup?
Technically, this soup might be frozen, although I don’t advocate it. Dairy-based soups usually don’t maintain up nicely when frozen, and the gnocchi will develop into soggy.
Fortunately, it’s fast to make and it disappears from the pot so quick, we rarely have leftovers!
Home made Hen Gnocchi Soup is a wealthy and hearty one-pot soup recipe stuffed with tender chunks of hen, spinach, and fluffy gnocchi within the creamiest broth.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon recent black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed crimson pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups hen inventory
- 1 tablespoon hen bouillon paste (I exploit Higher Than Bouillon)
- 3 cups milk
- 3 cups cooked hen, cubed (I exploit a 12-ounce rotisserie hen)
- 16 ounces frozen gnocchi
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups child spinach roughly chopped, and huge stems eliminated
- Soften the butter in a 5- quart Dutch oven over medium warmth. Add within the onion and carrots and cook dinner till mushy, 5-6 minutes. Season the greens with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and crushed crimson pepper.
- Add within the garlic and cook dinner for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle the flour over the greens and cook dinner for an extra minute, stirring consistently.
- Whisk in hen inventory, bouillon paste, and milk. Carry the combination up till nearly boiling (needs to be steaming), whisking incessantly, and stir within the hen. Scale back warmth to a simmer and cook dinner for 10 minutes, stirring sometimes.
- Add in gnocchi and cook dinner for 3 minutes or till the gnocchi is tender.
- Stir within the heavy cream and chopped spinach. Take away the soup from the warmth and canopy for five minutes, till the spinach is wilted.
- Modify seasoning with extra salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve instantly.
Retailer hermetic within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
Key phrases: gnocchi soup, recipes for hen gnocchi soup, creamy hen soup recipe