Desk of Contents[Hide][Show]
I’ve by no means been a lot of a cookie-maker, however one yr the children requested gingerbread cookies. They’d been visiting mates and making gingerbread homes. The consequence was these chewy molasses cookies which have all of the flavors of gingerbread!
Once I first tried my hand at making these cookies, I preferred the concept of together with dates as a sweetener. I used to be pregnant on the time and since dates assist shorten labor, date-sweetened molasses cookies sounded fairly good. I additionally love that they’re grain-free and excessive in protein.
Nutrient-Dense Elements for Wholesome Molasses Cookies
Most conventional ginger molasses cookies have substances like granulated sugar, all-purpose flour, and brown sugar. White sugar-filled vacation cookies aren’t on my record of favourite cookie recipes!
After a number of failed makes an attempt, I’m proud of these aromatic, yummy cookies. They’re freed from refined sweeteners and full of nutrient-dense substances. Not solely do they style scrumptious, however I don’t thoughts letting the children have them (or consuming them myself).
The very best molasses cookies begin with nice substances:
- Molasses: An incredible pure supply of iron, B nutritional vitamins, magnesium, and copper. It’s nice for enhancing digestion, reversing grey hair, and serving to anemia (amongst different issues). Whereas blackstrap molasses is the healthiest, I like utilizing unsulphured molasses in recipes because it doesn’t have a bitter style. It offers the cookies a wealthy, molasses taste.
- Dates: A fruit that’s typically eaten alone or used as a pure sweetener. They’re stated to be anti-inflammatory. Dates are additionally recommended for coronary heart well being, wholesome blood stress, and mind well being. When I discovered a research about how consuming dates regularly might shorten labor, I made a decision to present them a strive.
- Almond Flour: Excessive in protein, filling, and nourishing.
- Cinnamon: Just a little spice with a lot of benefits! Cinnamon has immune-boosting and infection-fighting properties. It’s additionally typically used to assist regulate blood sugar. And it tastes scrumptious!
- Ginger: So many nice well being results, together with easing nausea and calming coughing. Learn extra about it here. And take a look at this put up for some nice information on storing recent ginger. I desire recent, however you need to use 1 teaspoon of floor ginger if that’s what you could have.
After all, no cookie is nice for every day consumption. Though between the wholesome substances and minimal sweeteners, I’d say these are as shut as they arrive.
Ideas For Making Tender Molasses Cookies
Gingerbread or molasses cookies are basic Christmas cookies. The scent evokes recollections of childhood gingerbread home making at grandma’s and tree adorning.
Typically, making cookies is fairly simple. You combine collectively the dry substances, combine collectively the moist substances, then combine the 2 collectively. I comply with the identical sample with these cookies, besides I take advantage of a blender for the moist substances. It’s the simplest technique to get a clean consistency with the dates.
I normally chill to dough for at the very least quarter-hour to let it agency up a bit earlier than rolling it into balls. Should you don’t you’ll have a sticky mess in your arms… actually.
The ultimate two steps are non-obligatory. The primary is the sugar. I prefer to roll my cookie dough balls in natural coconut sugar. It appears stunning and provides the cookies a pleasant crunchy crust on the surface.
The second is the urgent. These cookies don’t flatten out on their very own whereas they’re cooking or have a crinkle on high. You’ll be able to both smash them gently with the underside of a glass earlier than baking or make a criss-cross sample with a fork midway by way of baking. Or make life easier and simply go away them in balls!
These cookies are stickier than common gingerbread cookies. They’re not supreme to be used with cookie cutters or to make gingerbread homes. In contrast to baked goods made with common flour, these don’t have gluten to assist maintain them collectively. They’re nonetheless simply as scrumptious although!
Or Use It as a Crust!
It didn’t take me lengthy to find this recipe additionally makes an unbelievable grain-free crust for a pumpkin pie or gingerbread cheesecake! It’s a more healthy choice than the standard crushed gingersnaps crust.
We had a good time making these for Christmas and I hope you’ll too. They aren’t overly candy. However in case you aren’t used to numerous processed desserts, they’ve the right steadiness of sweetness and spice.
Molasses Cookies Recipe
Home made wholesome molasses cookies which have all of the flavors of gingerbread! They’re nutrient-dense and full of well being advantages.
In a medium-sized mixing bowl or stand mixer, combine collectively the almond flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, salt, and coconut flour.
In a blender mix the eggs, melted butter or coconut oil, dates, almond or coconut milk, and molasses.
Combine the moist substances into the dry substances with a hand mixer or stand mixer. The dough ought to be thick sufficient to type balls, however not fairly as thick as playdough.
Refrigerate dough for at the very least quarter-hour to let harden barely. This can make it simpler to type for baking.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Fastidiously roll the dough into 1 inch balls. A cookie scoop may also help with portioning.
If utilizing sugar, roll the dough in a light-weight coating of sugar for texture and to assist stop sticking.
Place dough on a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Flatten the cookies with the underside of a glass or measuring cup if desired.
Bake cookies for quarter-hour. Midway by way of baking, take away from oven and make marks with a fork, if desired. (in case you did not already flatten them earlier than baking). This step is totally non-obligatory however creates the look of conventional molasses cookies.
Take away from oven and let cool for 10 minutes earlier than fastidiously eradicating from baking sheet onto a cooling rack or wire rack.
Get pleasure from! Retailer any leftovers in an hermetic container at room temperature.
- Completely different manufacturers of almond and coconut flour work in a different way in recipes. There are even variations between the sorts of dates and molasses in baking. You might have to regulate substances up or down barely to get the right consistency.
- When the cookies are completed baking they need to nonetheless be semi-soft to the contact, however begin to get crispy across the edges.
Serving: 1cookieEnergy: 96.75kcalCarbohydrates: 7.18gProtein: 2.83gFats: 7.07gSaturated Fats: 1.4gLdl cholesterol: 12.48mgSodium: 52.47mgPotassium: 75.58mgFiber: 1.76gSugar: 4.28gVitamin A: 52.59IUCalcium: 41.04mgIron: 0.67mg
Have been gingerbread or molasses cookies part of your childhood? Share under!