Posted: 12/1/2022 | December 1st, 2022
Tulum, situated within the southern part of Quintana Roo on Mexico’s Yucatán Peninsula, was once a sleepy seashore city that attracted hippie varieties who most well-liked the placid seashores and its Mayan ruins over Cancún’s wild, cacophonous nightlife.
Within the final decade or so, although, the hippies have been overtaken by influencers, boho-chic digital nomads, and would-be yogis. So, whereas I loved seeing the ruins there, I’m not a big fan of Tulum these days.
However that’s simply me. A whole lot of hundreds of individuals go to every year and love their time there. Journey is subjective, in spite of everything.
Dwelling to a few of the best-preserved Mayan ruins and picturesque white-sand seashores, Tulum is unquestionably a stunning slice of Mexico.
However is Tulum protected?
That depends upon who you ask.
The Abroad Safety Advisory Council says that Tulum is “moderately safe” — although there was at the least one kidnapping of a vacationer there earlier this 12 months, and two ladies had been killed by gang crossfire whereas eating at a restaurant in 2021.
For the state of Quintana Roo, which incorporates Tulum, the information from the US State Department says to “train elevated warning” when touring there (versus six different states in Mexico, the place the report mentioned, “Don’t journey to”).
That mentioned, I’ve visited Tulum a couple of instances now — and have road-tripped across the area — and by no means felt unsafe. Certain, you must preserve your wits about you and preserve a watch out for petty theft, however that’s what you need to do anyplace you journey.
That can assist you perceive extra in regards to the metropolis and determine if you happen to really feel comfy visiting, right here is every part you must know to remain protected in Tulum.
Is Tulum Protected for Solo Vacationers?
Typically, sure. It’s within the native and nationwide governments’ curiosity to make an effort to maintain tourist-heavy locations like Tulum protected. If vacationers begin getting robbed (or worse) in Tulum, guests will cease coming, native companies will endure, and, consequently, there would then in all probability be extra crime. It’s cyclical.
Should you train some warning, as you need to do in any new vacation spot, you’ll probably keep away from any critical points.
Is Tulum Protected for Solo Feminine Vacationers?
Tulum is mostly protected for solo feminine vacationers. That mentioned, feminine vacationers have further considerations and may train much more warning. Don’t stroll alone at night time, for instance, whereas in Tulum. By no means settle for a drink from somebody except you noticed it being poured or made. And all the time keep watch over your drink when out on the bar.
Are Taxis in Tulum Protected?
Taxi drivers have a reasonably dangerous popularity irrespective of the place you’re on the earth. I’m completely happy to report that that popularity doesn’t prolong to this seaside city. Simply you’ll want to agree on a worth earlier than you depart.
Taxis are plentiful in Tulum so normally you shouldn’t have an issue discovering one. If unsure, although, have your lodge or hostel name one for you so that you will be positive you get a good driver.
Is Renting a Automotive in Tulum Protected?
There are some rental automotive scams that vacationers ought to pay attention to — not simply in Tulum however anyplace in Mexico. It’s fairly frequent, for instance, to lease a automotive on-line after which present up on the workplace solely to be advised that they don’t have any vehicles in the intervening time.
The opposite subject is with hidden charges. There are exorbitant prices for insurance coverage that you just’re solely advised about on the final minute, so remember while you guide that you just may get the deal that you just assume you’re getting.
Except for these points, it’s protected to lease a automotive in Tulum.
To seek out the most effective rental automotive offers, use Discover Cars.
Is There an Problem with Gangs and Drug Cartels in Tulum?
Sadly, crime has elevated in Tulum, and nearly all of it’s drug-related gang exercise. Since 2019, drug-related gang crimes have increased by a whopping 783%. The excellent news is that that is principally gang-on-gang violence and never geared toward vacationers.
The important thing right here is that this: don’t use or purchase medication whereas in Mexico normally, and Tulum particularly. You’re simply inviting hazard.
Can You Drink the Faucet Water in Tulum?
The faucet water throughout Mexico — not simply in Tulum — is infamous for not being as clear because it could possibly be. That goes for ice cubes too. Discover out first if the water in eating places is filtered after which ask if the ice cubes are too.
Tulum can typically be sweltering, and sipping iced drinks could be refreshing, however it will be even worse to be caught in your lodge room with abdomen points since you drank faucet water or an iced drink that was contaminated with faucet water.
Bottled water isn’t essentially the most eco-friendly factor, however when in Tulum, keep on with it, simply to be protected. You too can convey a LifeStraw bottle, which has a built-in filter to make sure that your water is all the time clear and protected to drink.
Can I Stroll Round at Night time in Tulum?
It’s not really helpful — particularly if you happen to’re alone. Making issues extra difficult, the seashore accommodations and the middle of city aren’t essentially a fast jaunt from one another on foot, so you need to take a taxi. The excellent news is that taxis are considerable in Tulum.
So, except it’s a brilliant brief distance, don’t stroll at night time in Tulum.
10 Security Ideas for Tulum
Tulum is among the extra reliably protected spots in Mexico. That mentioned, you need to nonetheless train warning, notably while you go away the closely touristed areas of city. Listed below are some issues to bear in mind:
1. Keep alert – When strolling round, particularly at night time, keep very alert and aware of your environment. Do your greatest to slot in.
2. Hold your telephone out of the attain of others – Pickpockets like to prey on careless vacationers, so preserve your telephone out of the attain of others always. Should you stroll round swinging your smartphone far and wide, you may discover that merchandise immediately lacking.
3. Hold your valuables at residence – Equally, you probably have a number of good jewellery and/or an costly watch, preserve it at residence or within the lodge room protected. You don’t wish to appeal to the fallacious type of consideration.
4. Be cautious at night time if you happen to’re touring alone – Tulum isn’t essentially the most harmful place at night time, however in some locations, it’s not as properly lit appropriately. Don’t stroll round alone late at night time if you happen to can keep away from it — particularly between the middle of city and the beachfront lodge zone.
5. Obtain an offline map – Should you don’t have worldwide roaming, obtain an offline map to make use of for navigation. Simply make sure to not pull your smartphone out an excessive amount of, lest it get stolen.
6. Study some Spanish – Uttering a couple of phrases of the native language is all the time an excellent factor. It may possibly open doorways and assist you slot in (and also you’re much less more likely to be a goal). It’s additionally helpful in case of an emergency. The emergency quantity in Mexico is 911.
7. Be aware of your cash – Don’t carry each peso you may have in your pockets or pocket. Unfold it round (some in your pockets, some within the lodge protected, some in your backpack), in order that if somebody steals your pockets or robs you, you’ll nonetheless have cash secured elsewhere.
8. Obtain the Prey app to your telephone and laptop computer – In case your telephone or your laptop computer will get stolen, the Prey app permits you to monitor the place it’s. You possibly can set up the app totally free after which improve to a paid model (it’s simply $5 USD) if you must monitor your stolen system. Prey may activate your telephone’s digital camera and take a photograph of the thief.
9. Watch out when utilizing ATMs – Solely use ATMs inside a financial institution. Not solely can skimmers be positioned on outside ATMs (to steal your PIN), however robberies are far more frequent at them. To remain protected, solely use indoor ATMs.
10. Be careful for riptides – Whereas the seashores in Tulum are gorgeous, the riptides will be harmful. By no means stray too removed from shore, simply to be protected. Should you’re not a robust swimmer, keep on with the pool.
So, Ought to You Go to Tulum?
When it comes to security, sure. As I mentioned above, there was a fair proportion of drug- and gang-related crime in Tulum over the previous few years, however if you happen to’re not looking for out medication — and you actually shouldn’t be — then probably you’ll keep away from experiencing any such points.
My Most Necessary Recommendation
Buy travel insurance. We by no means assume that one thing goes to go fallacious on journeys. But it surely does typically — which I’ve discovered from expertise. I’ve misplaced baggage in South Africa, had my gear break in Italy, and popped an eardrum in Thailand. I used to be additionally knifed in Colombia.
Whereas it’s not enjoyable to consider, dangerous issues can occur when you’re touring.
That’s why I by no means go away residence with out journey insurance coverage. You shouldn’t both — particularly if you happen to’re heading to Mexico. For simply a few bucks a day, you’ll get a security internet that ensures that you just gained’t go bankrupt ought to one thing dangerous and surprising occur.
Don’t low-cost out in your well being and security. It’s not definitely worth the threat.
Tulum has rapidly turn into the epicenter of the so-called Riviera Maya, attracting all kinds of people that gravitate right here for its gorgeous white-sand seashores hugging up alongside blue-green waters, in addition to the properly preserved Mayan ruins.
Whereas it’s a usually protected place for vacationers, you need to all the time be alert and train warning when you’re in Tulum. Try this, and also you’ll be capable of have a enjoyable — and protected — go to.
Ebook Your Journey: Logistical Ideas and Tips
Ebook Your Flight
Discover a low-cost flight through the use of Skyscanner. It’s my favourite search engine as a result of it searches web sites and airways across the globe so that you all the time know no stone is being left unturned.
Ebook Your Lodging
You possibly can guide your hostel with Hostelworld. If you wish to keep someplace apart from a hostel, use Booking.com because it constantly returns the most cost effective charges for guesthouses and accommodations.
Don’t Neglect Journey Insurance coverage
Journey insurance coverage will shield you towards sickness, harm, theft, and cancellations. It’s complete safety in case something goes fallacious. I by no means go on a visit with out it as I’ve had to make use of it many instances previously. My favourite corporations that provide the most effective service and worth are:
Need to journey totally free?
Journey bank cards will let you earn factors that may be redeemed totally free flights and lodging. They’re what preserve me touring a lot for therefore little. Try my guide to picking the right card and my current favorites to get began and see the most recent greatest offers.
Able to Ebook Your Journey?
Try my resource page for the most effective corporations to make use of while you journey. I record all those I take advantage of after I journey. They’re the most effective in school and you may’t go fallacious utilizing them in your journey.