Yoga may help with so many elements of our bodily, mental, and non secular well-being. And that features our digestion. The apply of yoga can scale back stress, which helps regulate the gut-brain axis. There’s even current analysis that means yoga may be a remedial treatment for IBS.
And across the vacation season, when wellness-minded people indulge at numerous celebrations after which search for a yogic antidote, it’s normal to see bloat-relieving poses making their means into circulation. However poses are solely one of many eight limbs of yoga. To actually embrace the apply, honor its roots, and really feel its results, we have to strategy yoga holistically, bringing correct focus and breath, as an illustration, to any move.
Yoga teacher Sara Sas,RYT, L.Ac., provides acupressure to this, too. Additionally a licensed acupuncturist and Conventional Chinese language Medication practitioner, she not too long ago shared with Nicely+Good that, when she’s coping with digestive points, she pairs sure yoga poses with acupressure (i.e., no needles!). This provides her an added enhance of aid and digestive assist. Right here, she shares her three go-tos.
1. Wind-Relieving Pose (Pawanmuktasana)
- Laying in your again, inhale and prolong each of your legs out straight. On an exhale, hug your knees into your chest utilizing each arms, connecting the tops of your thighs to your abdomen/chest.
- Take just a few deep breaths on this place, permitting your physique to calm down and launch.
- Discover your acupressure level (particulars beneath) and therapeutic massage that for a minute or in order you maintain this pose, persevering with to breathe deeply and mindfully.
Acupressure level: Stomach 36
Discover it: Place your hand slightly below your reverse knee, with the aspect of your index finger alongside the bottom of your kneecap. At in regards to the tip of your pinky, simply on the surface of your tibia, you’ll discover this digestion-supporting acupressure point.
Why this works:
“By itself, Pawanmuktasana is a go-to pose for gasoline and bloating aid, because it helps to expel trapped air within the digestive tract,” says Sas. “Combining this with acupressure on the command level of the stomach, in accordance with Conventional Chinese language Medication, advantages the abdomen and spleen by serving to with the nourishment of digestion, whereas regulating intestines and expelling wind-gas. It’s a win-win.”
2. Goddess Pose (Utkata Konasana)
- Together with your toes wider than hips-width distance aside, flip your toes outward. (Assume: sumo squat or second place grand plié)
- Sink right into a squat, tucking your tailbone barely, sustaining an exterior rotation along with your thighs. Lock in your stomach muscular tissues and keep an upright backbone with relaxed shoulder blades.
- Elevate your heels up, placing the burden into the balls of your toes.
- Decrease heels, shifting weight into the again of the toes to raise the toes.
- Hinge on the waist to seize below your toes and stimulate the stress factors (see beneath to find). You are able to do this separately.
- Repeat the lifting and reducing of your heels, focusing your consideration on the acupressure level.
- Finish with toes flat on the bottom.
Acupressure level: Kidney 1
Discover it: “This point is principally the middle of the only of the foot,” says Sas. (Assume extra backside of your metatarsals, reasonably than backside of your arch.)
Why this works:
“Goddess pose helps generate heat all through your physique, and the elevated circulation may help along with your digestion,” says Sas. Including the Kidney 1 acupressure therapeutic massage may help heart you. “Breathe deep, sending power into your toes to really feel a way of grounding, assist, and power,” says Sas. “After we are grounded and centered, our digestion is supported.” The alternative can be true: After we’re pressured, our digestion takes a toll.
3. Straightforward Seated Twist (Parivrtta Sukhasana)
- Sitting in a cross-legged place, along with your backbone straight and the crown of your head reaching towards the sky, convey your left hand to your proper knee.
- Retaining your backbone straight, twist to the fitting, inserting your proper hand behind you on the ground, close to your hip. Make sure you don’t go too far and lose your posture.
- Look over your proper shoulder, and breathe deeply into the twist.
- On this place, find and therapeutic massage the acupuncture level along with your left hand (location detailed beneath).
- Change your cross-legged place (if the fitting leg was on high, convey the left to the highest) and repeat this train on the alternative aspect, guaranteeing you proceed to breathe deeply.
Acupressure level: Spleen 21
Discover it: “This point is named ‘The Nice Embrace’ and is positioned on the aspect of your ribcage,” says Sas. “It may be simply stimulated throughout a seated spinal twist when you give your self a hug.”
Why this works:
Twisting poses are well-liked decisions for digestive well being, and for good purpose: Twisting the torso helps stimulate the digestive organs.
With simple seated twist, particularly whenever you start with a twist to the right, you’ll therapeutic massage the ascending colon, after which descending colon as you twist to the left, serving to to “transfer issues alongside,” as they are saying. Including in some acupressure bolsters this impact. “Spleen 21 strikes Qi [energy] and blood,” explains Sas. “This transforms stagnation within the physique, particularly across the diaphragm, which [according to TCM] assists with higher digestion.”