Recent with the flavors of the Mediterranean, this fast Greek Tomato Feta Soup is a zesty and straightforward soup recipe made with candy juicy tomatoes, tender orzo pasta, creamy feta, and a light-weight chili kick. Pure consolation meals!
An Straightforward Tomato Feta and Orzo Soup Recipe
This vegetarian soup is impressed by the flavors and smells of the Mediterranean. Candy, ripe tomatoes, savory herbs, Greek orzo pasta, and chunks of salty feta cheese mix in a dish the place each spoonful tastes like summer season. I noticed a model of this on TikTok and tried her recipe. Since then I’ve been making it actually on repeat for months and have modified it somewhat alongside the way in which to go well with my style. It’s honest to say I’m completely obsessed with this soup recipe. The easy flavors and the simplicity of the recipe are excellent, and everybody who tries it loves it!
This is among the best soup recipes you’ll ever make, and one of many tastiest. It’s surprisingly filling due to the pasta and richness of the feta, and it’s prepared on the stovetop in lower than half-hour. Good for a light-weight lunch or dinner, or you possibly can serve it with a facet of Garlic Bread for a heartier meal.
What Is Orzo?
Given its small, grain-like form, many individuals typically mistake orzo for rice. And it does look so much prefer it! Nonetheless, orzo (additionally referred to as rosini) is a kind of Italian pasta, produced from semolina flour. You’ll discover it alongside different pasta in your native grocery retailer aisle.
What You’ll Want
Just like the viral feta tomato pasta that shares the flavors of this recipe, this creamy tomato feta soup comes along with only a few easy components. Keep in mind to seek advice from the recipe card for the total quantities:
- Vegetable Broth: This vegetarian recipe makes use of vegetable broth or inventory. I like to recommend utilizing low-sodium broth, so you possibly can modify the soup’s saltiness to style.
- Olive Oil: Use an honest high quality olive oil for the perfect taste.
- Herbs and Spices: dried oregano, crushed purple pepper flakes, salt, and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Orzo Pasta: This can be a kind of small, short-cut pasta (see above). This sort of pasta is widespread in Greek and Italian cooking, so I assumed it was excellent to incorporate on this Mediterranean-style tomato soup!
- Canned Tomatoes: I make this soup from canned tomatoes, which I’ll drain after which chop. I want complete plum tomatoes as they’ve the sweetest taste, however any number of canned tomatoes will do. Hearth-roasted tomatoes would additionally add a deeper taste.
- Feta Cheese: Feta cheese has a scrumptious salty, tangy taste. Use good high quality Greek feta cheese, and reduce it into small cubes (some manufacturers come already diced).
- Crimson Wine Vinegar: Hitting the soup with a splash of purple wine vinegar proper on the finish brightens every thing up and actually makes the flavors shine.
Can I Make This Soup With Recent Tomatoes?
Completely! I take a shortcut utilizing canned plum tomatoes, however you possibly can 100% make this soup with recent complete tomatoes as a substitute. You’ll need to take away the tomato skins on this case, which is definitely SO simple. Right here’s the way to rapidly peel tomatoes to make use of on this soup:
- Convey a pot of water to a boil, and put together a separate bowl with an ice bathtub. Gently pierce the pores and skin on the underside of every tomato with a knife.
- Blanche the tomatoes in boiling water for 30-60 seconds. This helps loosen up the tomato skins. When the skins start to wrinkle and peel away, switch the tomatoes instantly to the ice bathtub.
- After a minute or two, fastidiously peel the skins away from the tomato flesh, and discard.
- Chop up the tomatoes as directed. Voila!
Tips on how to Make Tomato Soup with Orzo and Feta
This Greek tomato feta soup is so easy to make, it’ll really feel such as you’ve taken a Mediterranean trip (effectively, shut sufficient):
- Warmth the Broth: First, you’ll warmth vegetable broth in a big pot with olive oil and a few seasonings, till it reaches a boil.
- Add Orzo and Tomatoes: Subsequent, stir within the orzo pasta and chopped tomatoes, then simmer to prepare dinner the pasta.
- Add Feta: Now, for the perfect half! After about 20 minutes, take the pot off of the warmth and stir within the feta cubes. Add a spoonful of purple wine vinegar to complete, and stir. The feta will soften barely, turning into creamy.
- Serve: Alter the seasonings to style, then dish up your soup whereas it’s heat. See beneath for straightforward sides to serve with this Greek tomato soup!
Ideas for Success
This tomato feta soup recipe is nearly assured to come back out excellent. Listed here are some last ideas for the perfect tomato soup:
- The feta cheese is the perfect a part of this soup. IMHO. Feta provides creaminess, saltiness, and a little bit of tang that turns this soup from “wow” to “WOW.” Don’t skip it! In a pinch, goat cheese is the perfect substitute.
- Keep away from overcooking the pasta. Intention to prepare dinner the orzo al dente. Overcooking will flip the pasta (to not point out your soup) right into a mushy mess.
- Should you’d want a smoother soup, you should use an immersion blender to puree the tomatoes within the broth.
Listed here are some alternative ways that you could make this tomato feta soup your personal:
- Hen Inventory: This soup is at present made vegetarian, however it may be made with chicken stock or broth for those who want.
- Completely different Pasta: Rather than orzo, use one other kind of small pasta like orecchiette, ditalini, fussili, pastina, or bow tie pasta. Or, for a lighter soup, omit the pasta altogether.
- Recent Herbs: Stir in chopped recent basil, oregano, thyme, sage, or freshly minced garlic.
- Extra Veggies: Diced bell peppers, zucchini, riced cauliflower.
- Lemon: Along with or rather than the purple wine vinegar, stir in a spoonful of recent lemon juice for some lemon orzo soup vibes.
Greek tomato feta soup is a scrumptious mild bowlful all by itself, however you possibly can by no means go unsuitable with some simple facet dishes:
Storing and Reheating Selfmade Tomato Soup
Refrigerate any leftover tomato feta soup hermetic for as much as 5 days. The soup could be reheated on the range or within the microwave till warmed by means of. You would possibly discover that the soup will thicken whereas it’s saved, because the orzo absorbs extra of the liquid. Add a bit of additional broth to loosen it up if wanted.
If you realize you’ll have numerous leftovers, you possibly can miss the feta till you’re able to reheat it. That approach the cheese can be recent on the reheat!
To make this recipe forward, put together the tomato soup proper up till you’ll add the feta, then permit it to chill earlier than storing it hermetic and refrigerating. Everytime you’re able to serve it, reheat the soup, then stir in recent cubed feta together with the purple wine vinegar.
Can I Freeze Tomato Feta Soup?
Should you’d prefer to freeze this soup, I’d undoubtedly suggest freezing it earlier than including the feta cheese. As soon as the soup is cooled, retailer it hermetic and freeze it for as much as 3 months. Defrost the soup within the fridge earlier than reheating and stirring within the feta.
Greek Tomato Feta Soup is a simple vegetarian recipe full of the flavors of the Mediterranean. Made with juicy tomatoes, creamy feta, tender orzo pasta, and a light-weight chili kick.
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed purple pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon recent floor black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 1 (28- ounce) can of complete plum tomatoes, drained and reduce into chunks
- 12– ounces of feta cheese small cubed
- 1 tablespoon purple wine vinegar
- Warmth a 5- quart dutch oven over medium-high warmth. Add within the vegetable broth, olive oil, oregano, purple pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Convey to a boil.
- Add within the orzo pasta and tomatoes. Scale back warmth to medium and prepare dinner for 20-25 minutes, till the pasta is tender, stirring sometimes.
- Take away the pot from the warmth and add within the cubed feta cheese and purple wine vinegar. Stir to mix. Alter seasonings if obligatory.
- Serve heat.
Retailer hermetic within the fridge for as much as 5 days. Reheat on the range high or within the microwave.
Key phrases: tomato soup recipe, orzo soup, vegetarian soup recipes
Need To Save This Recipe?
Discover extra recipes like this:
Extra Straightforward Soup Recipes
PIN for later: