That is an additional quick weeknight model of a conventional Shepherd’s Pie recipe.
Shepherd’s Pie is a full meal with a base of saucy floor lamb and greens (though many individuals use beef). It’s all topped with mashed potato crust and baked till bubbly.
Simple and attractive, all yr spherical!
A Fast Shortcut Favourite
- Shepherd’s Pie is a comforting and hearty dish that’s good for an straightforward dinner.
- Utilizing frozen combined greens (and ready mashed potatoes) cuts down on prep time, making this recipe even sooner.
- The shortcut sauce choices within the recipe beneath make it straightforward to customise the dish to your pantry.
- Use leftover meat, veggies, gravy, or mashed potatoes, its a good way to make use of up components you have already got available or leftovers.
- This dish freezes and reheats effectively.
Substances for Shepherd’s Pie
Shepherd’s Pie may be ready recent, but it surely’s additionally a good way to make use of up any leftover meat, veggies, gravy, or mashed potatoes.
Floor Meat –You need to use any floor meat on this recipe. Though lamb is conventional, I most frequently use floor beef. Leftover roast meat additionally works effectively.
Greens – Frozen combined greens make preparation fast and simple, however you should use leftover roasted veggies too. If utilizing recent greens, steam them till tender or cook dinner them with the meat earlier than including them to the dish.
Sauce – Shepherd’s Pie is flexible, and I’ve supplied a few shortcut sauces within the recipe beneath. Nonetheless, you should use leftover gravy (or gravy combine) and tomato sauce, or any sauce you want.
Mashed Potatoes – Conventional mashed potatoes are what I most frequently use, however garlic mashed potatoes add nice taste to this dish! In the event you’re in a rush, you should use store-bought mashed potatoes.
Make Shepherd’s Pie
- Make Mashed Potatoes: When you’ve got leftover mashed potatoes, use these. If not, make do-it-yourself mashed potatoes. Tater tots make a fantastic topping too!
- Brown Meat: Brown lamb (or one other sort of floor meat like beef) in a skillet with onion. If utilizing recent veggies, they are often diced and cooked together with the meat and onion.
- Add Sauce: Stir within the seasonings and sauce per the recipe beneath (for those who’d like a from-scratch shepherd’s pie, this is the recipe we use!). Stir within the veggies.
- Layer and Bake: Pile the potatoes on prime. A sprinkle of cheese shouldn’t be conventional, however it’s scrumptious!
Prep Forward and Ideas for Shepherd’s Pie
You’ll love how straightforward this dish is. It may be made a day upfront, which makes dinner prep simpler.
- Layering: After prepping the meat combination, cool it and chill it within the fridge for 20 minutes to maintain the mashed potato layer separated.
- Prep Forward: Assemble the Shepherd’s Pie as much as someday upfront and refrigerate it. Let it come to room temperature for Half-hour earlier than baking.
- Fast Clear Up: In case your baking dish may be very full, place it on a parchment-lined baking sheet to keep away from any juices spilling into the underside of the oven.
Freeze Shepherd’s Pie
- Put together as directed and funky fully. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap after which in foil. Freeze.
- Thaw in a single day within the fridge. Bake for 45 minutes coated and quarter-hour uncovered
Shepherd’s pie is a scrumptious combo of floor lamb (though many individuals use beef) that has been cooked with greens in a gravy or sauce. The lamb combination is then topped with a crust of creamy mashed potatoes.
This casserole is historically made with floor lamb. Many individuals make this recipe with floor beef nonetheless, for those who use floor beef it’s truly known as Cottage Pie! (You too can change the meat for a vegetarian lentil version).
Both means, this crustless meat pie is topped with mashed potatoes and baked till bubbly.
Historically, a shepherd’s pie shouldn’t be topped with cheese. That being mentioned, cheese is my love language, so I like so as to add a little bit bit on prime. In the event you’d desire, brush the potatoes with a little bit little bit of butter and skip the cheese.
Bake the shepherd’s pie recipe beneath for 25-Half-hour. In the event you’ve made it forward of time and it’s chilly from being within the fridge, bake it a bit longer, about 30-35 minutes.
Completely!! Make mashed sweet potatoes utilizing this recipe and pile them excessive!
What to Serve with Shepherd’s Pie
It’s a full meal by itself and actually doesn’t want sides. In the event you’d wish to stretch it a little bit additional, bread and salad are nice additions.
St. Patrick’s Day Favorites
Did you make this Simple Shepherd’s Pie recipe? Depart us a remark and a score beneath!
Simple Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
Shepherd’s Pie is a conventional Irish dish made with floor lamb, peas, and carrots, topped with mashed potatoes & cheddar cheese.
Preheat oven to 400°F.
In a big skillet or Dutch oven, cook dinner lamb (or beef), onion, and garlic over medium warmth till no pink stays. Drain any fats.
Stir in combined greens, soup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, basil, and pepper.
Unfold into the underside of a 3 quart or 9×13 inch casserole dish.
Spoon mashed potatoes over prime and sprinkle with cheese if utilizing.
Baked for 25-Half-hour or till bubbly.
It is a shortcut recipe, view our from scratch shepherd’s pie recipe right here.
Substitute the tomato soup on this recipe for one of many following:
- 10.5 oz of cream of mushroom soup
- 1 packet of gravy combine ready as directed and simmered till thickened
- leftover do-it-yourself beef gravy.
Energy: 648 | Carbohydrates: 85g | Protein: 22g | Fats: 24g | Saturated Fats: 11g | Ldl cholesterol: 74mg | Sodium: 730mg | Potassium: 916mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 47g | Vitamin A: 2775IU | Vitamin C: 37mg | Calcium: 180mg | Iron: 2.5mg
Diet info supplied is an estimate and can fluctuate based mostly on cooking strategies and types of components used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content material and images are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is each inspired and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Why is it known as Shepherd’s Pie?
Initially a meat pie made with minced (or floor) meat and mashed potatoes was referred to as a Cottage Pie (and it was even typically made with pastry a few years in the past). It is vitally common in Eire, Scotland, and England as effectively! Within the late 1800s, the pie was named Shepherd’s Pie if made with lamb (for the reason that shepherd taken care of the sheep) and if made with beef it was known as Cottage Pie.
Whatever the identify, this recipe is a basic Shepherd’s Pie recipe loaded with taste and the proper make-ahead meal to serve all yr lengthy!