Knowledgeable runner since 2015, Quigley’s greater than used to logging main exercises. Nevertheless it seems that coaching in three totally different sports activities concurrently—swimming, biking, and working—comes with one massive distinction: “I’m tremendous hungry on a regular basis!” she says. “I will eat a meal after which actually an hour and a half later, I will be going about my life, making an attempt to be productive, and it will be like, ugh, I am hungry once more.”
The morning we spoke, she’d simply gotten again from a six-mile run and was about to go to the pool for an hour of laborious tons of, then deliberate to relaxation for a pair hours earlier than hopping on her bike. No surprise she’s hungry: Crushing exercise after exercise, day after day takes critical gas.
Quigley has a level in dietetics from Florida State College, so she is aware of the worth of filling up on nutritious, complete meals. Though many endurance athletes depend on gels and bars to maintain up their vitality (and glucose stores) throughout exercises, Quigley likes to organize her personal exercise meals every time she will. “Anytime I could make snacks that do not come pre-packaged, that is a win,” she says.
Her go-to? Date balls. “I used to see them round at fancy grocery shops, and so they’re normally fairly expensive, however so scrumptious,” she says. Figuring out that dates are an important supply of pure sugars that your physique can rapidly flip into gas, she determined to make her personal.
As she constructed her recipe, she folded in almond butter for a tasty dose of protein, fiber, magnesium, and monounsaturated fatty acids, chia seeds for a heart-healthy increase of omega-3s, whey protein powder to jumpstart her muscle restoration, and low grounds for a caffeinated performance boost.
Immediately, she makes a batch about each two to a few weeks. They take about 20 minutes to place collectively (your blender or meals processor does many of the give you the results you want, she says). Quigley retains them within the freezer for straightforward storage, then will usually seize a pair to let thaw and munch on earlier than a exercise, or will stash some in her pouch for a scrumptious increase on lengthy bike rides.
The most effective half? You’ll be able to combine and match components based mostly on what occurs to be in your pantry—pistachios, chocolate chips, coconut flakes is probably not listed within the recipe however they’re all truthful sport. As Quigley says, “You’ll be able to’t actually mess it up.”
Colleen Quigley’s Date Balls
Yields 20–30 balls, relying on dimension
20 medjool dates (pits eliminated)
1/2 cup almond butter (or nut butter of selection)
1/2 cup roasted cashews (or different nut)
1/4 cup chia seeds
3 Tbsp finely floor espresso
1/4 cup protein powder (Quigley makes use of Vital Performance chocolate protein powder or Vital Proteins chocolate collagen peptides)
1/4 cup rolled oats
1. In a food processor or blender, mix the dates with a couple of tablespoon of water (or extra if wanted) till clean.
2. In a medium bowl, mix date puree with almond butter, chia seeds, espresso, and protein powder.
3. Pulse the cashews in your blender/meals processor (no want to wash it out from earlier than) till you get small chunks and a few finer mud.
4. Add the cashews to your bowl and blend till clean and sticky. In case your combination is just too dry, add a tablespoon or two of water. If it is too moist, pulse some extra cashews or oats and add to the combination to dry it out.
5. When the consistency is correct, scoop the batter into balls—as massive or small as you want. (Quigley makes use of a heaping tablespoon to measure hers out.) Roll together with your palms till clean and set on a plate.
6. Place within the freezer for a number of hours till they’re laborious and pop off the plate. Then retailer in a plastic bag within the freezer till you’re able to get pleasure from!
Our editors independently choose these merchandise. Making a purchase order by way of our hyperlinks could earn Effectively+Good a fee.