When the second week of February rolls round every year, Adam and I inevitably take a look at one another somewhat bewildered and ask “So… what ought to we do for Valentine’s Day?” A lot of the conventional concepts can really feel somewhat tacky (to not point out overpriced), so I’m at all times on the hunt for surprising Valentine’s Day date concepts that may nonetheless really feel romantic and particular.
I bear in mind the primary yr we celebrated Valentine’s Day as a pair, we cooked a very fancy dinner at Adam’s place full with steak and chocolate soufflés, and it was so memorable that we’ve tried to do one thing outdoors the field yearly since. Whether or not you’re coupled up or single, maintain scrolling for 20 distinctive concepts that may guarantee your Valentine’s Day is definitely enjoyable, with no clichés in sight.
Featured picture of Rebekah Peppler’s Parisian feast by Joann Pai.
Get the goods.
Gatherings, food, design, wellness, and more—it’s the newsletter you’ll actually want to read.
Thanks for Signing Up!
Looks like you’re already signed up or your email address is invalid.
Looks like you unsubscribed before click here to resubscribe.
29 Distinctive Valentine’s Day Date Concepts to Attempt This Yr
1. Discover and go to a drive-in live performance. Bonus factors for dressing up and bringing your personal garden chairs and snacks.
2. Create a personal movie show in your home with a projector and display screen a romantic film. Simply add popcorn, Raisinets, and two pairs of cozy socks.
3. Go curler skating. Or ice skating. The purpose right here is to channel your favourite hand-holding scene in nearly each traditional rom-com.
4. Host a karaoke evening in your lounge. This personally appears like my imaginative and prescient of hell, however I do know it’s proper up a few of your alleys. Plus, in the event you had been born with the voice of an angel, this might be an excellent technique for making them fall in love with you on the spot. If you wish to be tremendous skilled with it, take a look at this Wireless Bluetooth Karaoke Mic.
5. Take an early morning hike to observe the dawn. I do know, I do know—sounds type of painful. However there’s nothing extra magical than watching the solar come up. Plus, getting up that early to interrupt a sweat is a complete bonding expertise.
6. Take a digital cooking class. Bonding over pots of marinara and pans of tiramisu? Signal me up!
7. Put collectively care packages for the homeless. Stuff paper baggage or shoe packing containers with meals, water, socks, hand wipes, and many others. and maintain them in your vehicles for the subsequent time you drive previous somebody in want. It’s fairly cool to see your S.O. serving others and sacrificing their free time for a worthy trigger. You’ll seemingly fall in love with one another once more.
8. Host an at-home artwork evening. Whether or not this implies sketching in an adult coloring book, making a collage of your favourite photographs collectively, or streaming an artist’s documentary, get your inventive juices flowing.
9. Schedule a tasting at a vineyard or brewery. Whereas we did this just about through the pandemic, there’s nothing higher than taking an tour to your favourite spots. Or, if you would like a extra low-key expertise at residence, purchase three bottles of wine: one that’s $25, one that’s $15, and one that’s $10. Cowl the bottles in foil and blend them round, then attempt to guess which is which! It’s fairly shocking generally.
10. Decide up your favourite take-out and drive to a scenic location for stargazing. When was the final time you and your S.O. actually appeared on the stars collectively? There’s one thing about gazing on the nighttime sky that’s such a reminder of the vastness of the universe—and the way fortunate you might be to have discovered one another in it.
11. Take a “staycation” at a favorite local hotel. I think every couple should splurge once in a while and spend the night away, even when a full-blown vacation isn’t in the cards. Order room service, watch a movie, jump in the hot tub, and sleep in.
12. Take a virtual dance class. Check out YouTube instructors that offer salsa or swing instruction. Perfect your dance moves for the next time you go to a wedding or a country bar.
13. Recreate your first date. For Adam and me, this would involve a dive-y Chinese restaurant, Peking Duck, and one too many glasses of chardonnay. If you’ve been together a long time, you’ll undoubtedly have fun laughing about those early days, and it may even be a valuable reminder of why you fell so deeply in love in the first place. Be creative about how to recreate your dates at home! Pick up takeout from the restaurant, dim the lights, use tablecloths, or any unique aspects that a specific restaurant has.
14. Pack a picnic and bike trip to someplace particular collectively. There’s something so particular about using bikes collectively to a particular spot to bask in a picnic collectively. Pack your favourite cheeses with dips and snacks in a picnic basket—don’t overlook the bottle of wine!
15. Discover a neighborhood bookstore. You don’t must be a bookworm for this to be a best-ever date (though, bonus factors if you’re). Head out and browse the stacks! Choose a learn for your self or decide one to your companion. If you get residence, curl up on the sofa and skim side-by-side. Nothing like somewhat literature to set the temper.
16. Make breakfast in mattress. Nothing beats feeding one another bites of pancakes whilst you’re snuggled underneath the covers. Whether or not you need one thing wholesome and vibrant or are craving your favourite consolation meals (once more, pancakes), so long as you’re getting within the kitchen collectively and sharing a meal, you actually can’t go flawed with this date.
17. Journey by prepare. This concept could be somewhat extra concerned, nevertheless it’s nothing somewhat planning can’t make occur. Practice journey permits you to absorb your surrounding sights in probably the most enjoyable approach doable. You don’t even must set out with a selected vacation spot in thoughts—it’s all concerning the journey.
18. Theme your date evening. Date nights are nice and all, however whenever you heart it round a selected theme, you may immerse your self in an entire new expertise. And naturally, nothing says romance like somewhat jaunt to France. Need all of the Parisian vibes with out having to get on a aircraft? Make a playlist of all of your favourite French music, plan out a French-ified menu, and rework your eating room into the chicest French restaurant, irrespective of the place you might be.
19. Make a imaginative and prescient board. Sharing your desires and setting the muse for future plans to return is the last word strategy to join. You possibly can every create your personal imaginative and prescient board or collaborate on one collectively. It’s a enjoyable and galvanizing course of, and might information conversations for what you every need for yourselves and your shared targets as a pair. For steps on methods to get began, check out our guide to vision boarding.
20. Camp it up. Whereas a get-lost-in-the-woods date will be simply the journey many people are searching for, there are others who’d reasonably camp out in the lounge. Whether or not you had been a scout in a previous life or have by no means spent an evening within the nice open air, there are many methods to tailor this date for a magical night (hiya, glamping). Simply don’t overlook the marshmallows.
21. Ask questions designed to build intimacy. This list of 32 questions was written particularly to assist deepen your relationship. As a result of because the creator, Nihel, writes: “With the precise mindset, intention, and questions, setting apart these particular moments can deepen your love and produce a contemporary and renewed perspective to your relationship.”
22. Learn your favourite “Trendy Love” tales. Who else skims the Sunday paper’s ‘Type’ part for these vignettes of real-life romance and heartbreak? In the event you’re already a fan, assist your companion get on board. Pick an essay from their archives and take turns studying them aloud to one another. You’ll get a glimpse right into a life in contrast to your personal, as every story is a window into distinctive views on, and experiences with, love.
23. Get aggressive. Recreation evening anybody? Care to problem your S.O. to a spherical of tennis? No matter your competitors of selection, decide it and equipment up! There’s nothing like somewhat wholesome competitors to set the sparks flying.
24. Bake a brand new recipe collectively. PSA: Valentine’s Day dessert doesn’t must contain chocolate. In reality, a few of the greatest draw upon distinctive flavors and intelligent spins on classics. The Kitchn has you coated with its checklist of 40+ delicious desserts.
25. Recreate one another’s favourite cocktails/mocktails. Even in the event you don’t contemplate your self a mixologist, you may have somewhat enjoyable getting inventive at your house bar. Ask (or guess!) one another’s favourite drinks and make them at residence. It’s a form gesture that may make them—and also you—really feel seen in your tastes and preferences.
26. Play Esther Perel’s conversation game, “Where Should We Begin?” We counted down the days until the famed psychotherapist released her conversation deck. With prompts like “Share something that’s changed your worldview” and questions that ask you to share what’s been keeping you up at night, trust that there’s no holding back. Pick up your copy here.
27. Write a letter to your S.O. for them to open subsequent yr. Who wouldn’t love receiving a letter that took you again to the place your relationship was the yr prior? Mirror in your emotions, ideas, and what you like most about them on this second. It’s a touching gesture and one that you simply’re each prone to maintain saved in your dressers ceaselessly.
28. Discover out one another’s enneagram. In the event you haven’t heard, intentional character assessments are again. (Key phrase being “intentional”—there’s nothing hokey about them.) Discovering one another’s enneagrams is an eye-opening strategy to dive deeper into what makes your companion tick. Be taught extra concerning the enneagram—and what it says about your character—here.
29. … or uncover your love languages. In the event you haven’t accomplished a deep dive but, understanding the love languages (and figuring out which greatest describes you and your companion) sheds perception into you every give and obtain love. We share all the pieces it’s good to find out about love languages here.
This publish was initially revealed on February 9, 2020, and has since been up to date.